School of log home building
- Build the Log Cabin of your dreams from start to finish
- No experience necessary
- Use minimal machinery and equipment
- Get detailed, hands-on instruction
The homes and cabins are built with freshly cut logs. Pine, Cypress, Poplar, Cedar, Fir, Spruce, etc. using mostly 2.4m lengths, with diameters ranging from 180 to 350mm.
All logs are treated with non-toxic Boron, commonly used in foods and fertilizers.
The whole building process can be done with a small chainsaw, an axe, tape measure, a chalk line, a spirit-level, a water-pipe level, a pencil. a spade and a drawknife, with the required ear and eye protection and safety pants - for a total cost of around R 15,000.
The course takes place over one week.
Former students have built homes from as little as R 1,500 to R 2,500 per square meter - all inclusive (not including their own labour) depending on individual circumstances.
Our hand-crafted Log Home construction courses, suitable for the owner/builder offer:
- Instruction to take you from the foundation and getting the logs, to a finished back-in-the-woods Log Cabin.
- Traditional log-building using green logs, knots and all, small chain saws and hand tools.
- A problem-solving eHotline which will be available to you while building your cabin. On-site consulting can be provided in special cases.
- Specialized workshops can be arranged for different building phases and provision made to offer instruction to crew on site, with follow-up consulting where required.
You will need:
- A small chainsaw 50cc or less
- A 5m tape measure (wide tape)
- A chalk line
- Ear muffs and visor
- Carpenter's pencil
- Ability to read, write and speak English, or willingness to work through a free translator
- Lots of patience
- A sense of humour (optional)